*five 08.31.11

Well my handsome husband fixed my sewing machine for me last night. Apparently the tension thingamabob was falling out! Who knew?! He got it all back together and sewing today was smooth sailing. Only one broken thread.

I am very happy to have my machine up and running. It has been around for awhile and I would hate to see it go. My mom gave it to me quite a few years ago for a birthday. It was hers that she got when she was 17! I remember her using it lots when we were growing up to make us summer clothes. We loved picking out the fabric for our soon to be outfits. They were some bold fabrics let me tell you! I guess I probably learned to sew on this machine.

I had read about a sewing technique online and I decided to give it a try. 
 The term for it is a gather, so I guess I gathered.
"To gather the seam, two parallel lines are sewn on the right side of the fabric, a scant 1/4" apart. Long tails of thread are left for gathering. The bobbin threads (on the wrong side of the fabric) are held on either end of the seam and gently tugged, gathering the fabric evenly on the threads. Do not scrimp and only sew one thread of long length stitches; you will need both"
thesewingdictionary.com
It was such a cinch, no pun intended.

I used some very cute bird fabric today. Sewed some sweet little ribbons on the hem and added red ties for some fun. I also did all the stitching in red for some contrast.


No comments:

Post a Comment